Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Worst Letter So Far











Okay, so the whole reason I started this blog is all because of the letter I got this week. The whole time JD has been gone has definately been a rollercoaster, but this so far has been the lowest point. And I'm probably making a bigger deal of it than I should, but to me, it was huge. See, the only rule I know of that JD was breaking is that when he would call home on Mother's Day or Christmas Day, he would talk to me on the phone. Well, it turns out he doesn't want to break the rules at all. So he said, that from now on when he calls home, that he will not be able to talk to me on the phone.
When I read that, my entire world came crashing down. I understand he wants to follow the rules, but has he lost his freaking mind?? That means I won't be able to talk to him until he gets home from his mission in a million years from now. After reading that letter, all I did the rest of the day was sit in my room and cry. Seriously, all day. Talking to JD on the phone is what I looked forward to the most, and now he took that away from me.
Now that I look back on the letter though, I was totally unfair with how I felt. First of all, the world will not end because I don't get to talk to JD when he calls. Even though it felt like it at the moment. Secondly, the way he told me in the letter was so sweet that I can't be mad at him. He said, "When I talked to you at the airport and then at Christmas, I wasn't supposed to. So I will not be able to talk to you on the phone anymore. I know that this will be hard for you but I can promise it will be worth it. I am trying to be as obedient to the rules of my mission as I can. I know that you supporting me will help me become that man that I'm supposed to be."
This is going to take time for me to accept and come to terms with, but I know realize that he is doing this with the best intentions. He is being my perfect missionary. And even though it is hard for me to completely understand why at times, I am happy he follows the rules. This cute girl that my mom works with is also waiting for a missionary who is following all of the rules like JD is. When I told her I was having a hard time with this, she sent me this long wonderful email about how JD is doing the right thing. It was the best email ever. In it she said, "We say that we are putting the Lord first for two years, and then he will bless us with forever!" That is a pretty good deal if you ask me.

2 comments:

  1. Heather this is soo great, i love reading your thoughts and what you are going through. you are such a strong women and i could see how doing this blog will totally help you! i cant wait to see what the future will hold for you guys :)i LOVE the pics you put up of you guys hugging goodbye, it truley touches the heart! Keep busy and time will fly! i was away from Gary for only a year and it was so difficult, but when you get to see him again its an experience only a few get in this life and it is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Theressa!! Ya, it's so hard having him gone, but what gets me through is thinking about the day he comes home! I didn't even think about how you were away from Gary! Don't be suprised if I come complaining to you soon enough then haha. Love you!

    ReplyDelete