Thursday, December 22, 2011

Spirit of Christmas

In light of all the stress I've been under lately, life has been pretty good! I finally finished my classes today, and even though I wasn't sure it was possible, I did well on my Pharmacology final and passed that class! Man, that teacher was tough, and I've got her for Pharm 2 next quarter too! Oh well, at least I'm learning my drugs! 

I've spent a lot of time the last few days shopping for Christmas stuff.  It's been kinda fun to go around and get things for everyone, but at the same time it frustrates the heck out of me.  Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas- I'm no Scrooge.  But, is it really necessary to go out a spend all this money on a bunch of things that no one really needs?  I understand the excitement of it all, but I see all the presents under the tree and I can't help but think, is there anything under that tree that any of us really NEEDS?  Probably not.  People use this time to go spend a lot more money than they need to on a lot of dumb things that people are going to forget about in a few months.  

I really was hoping this season I could find somewhere to volunteer or help out at during this time.  A few months ago I was able to volunteer with my nursing school group at an awesome cafe downtown that cooks all organic, yummy food!  They have a suggested price for their food, but you pay what you can, even if it is nothing.  As long as people do what they can to give back, whether that's donating money or donating time and service, they can eat the amazing food they cook!  It was so great to help out, just for the sake of doing something nice.  However, it was quite a bit of work to get it all set up to volunteer there!  I would love to volunteer for the Christmas season, except there aren't very many places that let you walk in and just give your time.  Now days, it's like getting a job.  You have to go through an entire process of applying and interviewing, setting up scheduled shifts, and having extensive background done.  Not that that is a problem, it just is something that takes a long time to get set up.  So if anyone knows of or sees a volunteering opportunity that is a lot easier than that, let me know! 

I went and saw the house in Herriman that they created from the movie Up.  It literally looks like it was straight out of the movie, it's totally awesome!  It closes to the public on Dec. 31st because someone bought it and is going to live in it!  So everyone should go see it while they can, but make sure you watch the movie first!

Life is good.  :)




0 comments:

Post a Comment